Friday, 7 March 2008

Hand Knitting Woes

I recently bought this Rowan Knitting & Crochet Magazine (No 42 Autumn/Winter issue) to add to my collection of Rowan pattern books (which I have failed to knit any patterns out of!). It’s full of wonderful designs which are beautifully shot. The contemporary edge reflects the current popularity of hand knitting which filled me with great enthusiasm on purchase only to be followed by slumping despondency once I began knitting with my usual slow progress and awkward fingers.


I’ve picked this ambitious cabley, lacey number ('Iceland' knitted in Cocoon yarn) to fail miserably at! It’s terrible knowing all the structural steps, but not being able to apply them. Really its practice I need. Unfortunately I share the Bart Simpson ‘I wasn’t good at it straight away so I gave up’ approach. I thought this would be a good opportunity to use my new Cath Kidston Knitting needles, but they only go up to 6mm and the pattern needs 7's!

In an effort to improve my skills, I’ve signed up to a number of courses, a beginners course at the new K1 Yarns Knitting Boutique on Victoria Street in Edinburgh and a ‘Professional Finishing Techniques’ course at John Lewis which includes pastries as an added incentive. I’ve also taken a few books out of the library (it’s an amazing place – they let you borrow books for FREE!) to learn hand knitting.

No comments: